Friday, November 13, 2009

They diagnose FMS, but they never tell you about FSS.


Frumpy Sweater Syndrome is one of those fibro-associated conditions the doctors never tell you about.


Actually, my frumpy sweaters aren't nearly as natty as this lovely vintage model. Mine are big and baggy and I can really hide. As winter approaches, I'm very happy for them, even here, south of the border. And during a flare, I feel absolutely justified in pulling the collars up over my ears.


Today, as the pain subsides and the fog starts to roll back a bit, I look down and wonder what in the world I was thinking.


My mind knows it's important not to surrender (too much) to the frumpiness of fibro. But who cares about holding your stomach in when everything, including your stomach, hurts? FSS can really cloud one's fashion sense.


I'd like to have a collection of soft, smart-looking jammie-like things to wear around the house, but during a flare it hurts too much to go shopping, and afterward I've already forgotten whatever it was I'd been thinking about.


If all I lose during a flare is my fashion sense, I can't complain. Still, if anyone has any suggestions about how to spiff up painlessly, it can only help.


By the way, if you Google "ugly sweaters " you'll get 822,000 results. There are even Ugly Sweater Parties .


Hmmm...It's a thought...


.

No comments:

Post a Comment